A major theme of this wiki is the conflict between networks and hierarchies.
There are many pages :
And various discussions comparing the two
There can be intermediate positions
The political / economic dimension
Beware of oversimplification
- Sometimes people like to assume there's just a dichotomy between networks / markets and hierarchies of force. But ...
- In MoneyInAnUnequalWorld, anthropologist KeithHart identifies economic life as a combination of three forces : Markets, Tribal authority (hierarchy) and social networks.
- I think there are at least four TypesOfPower which are used to hold together organizations and practices.
- And there are different TypesOfHierarchy. Which are we dealing with?
- Finally hierarchy can emerge in networks : PowerLaws / WealthHappens . So we need to understand the dangers of spontaneous / accidental hierarchy as well as institutional.
There's some related ideas at
- thanks David. And welcome to ThoughtStorms. Feel free to introduce yourself on a homepage here, wander around, find things to disagree with and ArgueAgainstMe :-) -- PhilJones
CategoryHierarchy?, CategoryNetworks, CategoryPolitics